Monday, November 16, 2009

How do I get rid of chickweed for good? Please help!!?

I have this dreadful weed in my garden (UK), which I think is chickweed. The leaves are small, and look like cress leaves. This stuff is low-lying, and covers everything it can. It has gradually taken over my garden. It chokes and swallows up everything I plant, and has invaded the lawn, the patio, even the walls.





Every year, we try to clear it. We try weedkiller, and digging it up, then putting new soil down, but it just comes back worse than ever. The whole garden is now affected. What can we do?

How do I get rid of chickweed for good? Please help!!?
Here in the UK chickweed is difficult to spray as it gets everywhere including round the plants we don't want to spray.





The best way I have found is to pull it up by hand - it comes up easily - before it seeds. It shouldn't then come up again. Our chickens love it.





Regards, Jim M
Reply:Without seeing the plant I don't know for sure if it is chickweed, but if it is then you ought to be able to kill and control it using a lawn weed killer. To be most effective the lawn should be sprayed in the spring when you first see signs of the weed. Then you should spray once a month to keep them out.





Good Luck.


No comments:

Post a Comment